Kamchatka: Heli-skiing the active volcanoes
300 volcanoes cover more than 40% of the Kamchatka peninsula and 29 of them are active! In exotic locations, the volcanoes offer numerous opportunities for extreme sports. Come wintertime, enthusiasts and daredevils alike are challenged to try out heli-skiing, that is, to fly up to the top of a volcano by helicopter then ski or snowboard down the pristine volcanic slopes. In Kamchatka heli-skiing is much more than an extreme slide down freshly fallen powder: it’s the breath-taking views of the Pacific and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of looking down into a volcano that really sets Kamchatka apart.
The plane takes you from Moscow straight to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky airport (UTC+12), where you’ll be welcomed by NFR Travel team. From there, you’ll head to the premium quality hotel located up in the mountains, you’ll meet your guides and discuss the programme, get a safety briefing and fill in the necessary documents. You’ll overnight at the hotel.
Having checking the weather reports first thing, we’ll work out which is the best slope for today. Now we’re ready for take-off! On a single day you might do 6 to 12 downhill slides depending on the group’s ability and experience, weather conditions and the avalanche forecast.
In case of poor weather, we have an alternative activity in the form of a trip to thermal springs at Paratunka.
We have an extra day planned for alternative leisure activities in case the weather conditions are poor. This is the perfect opportunity to get some rest and recharge after all that active heli-skiing. Take your time at the thermal springs at Paratunka, and stay overnight in a guesthouse.
If the weather is less than ideal for heli-skiing, we can organize a snowmobile excursion to Vilyuchinsky Waterfall or to the crater of Mutnovsky Volcano.
In the evening we’ll leave the base in the mountains and overnight in a hotel in Petropavlovsk.
Transfer to the airport.
On the way to the airport we’ll make a stop-off at a fish market to taste the goods and go shopping for gifts — smoked fish, caviar and crabs.
Those who want an additional adrenaline rush, have the possibility of an extra day spent surfing the cold waves of the Pacific! To be discussed and paid for in advance.
Accomodation & Transport
- Individual consultation and ability to tailor the tour according to your requirements. In order to provide the highest level of service, we only work with individual travelers and private groups.
- Comprehensive travel itinerary: 8 days, 7 nights. Activities: heli-skiing, thermal springs.
- Accommodation: 7 nights at premium quality hotel (one of best bases in Kamchatka). High category of hotel rooms.
- Meals: full board menu. All personal eating habits are taken into account. Kamchatka specialities, light meals during flights. Alcohol is not included.
- Equipment: we will select the proper skis/snowboard and a helmet for you. Full mountain and avalanche kit: an avalanche beacon, a probe, a shovel, an avalanche baloon pack, and a walkie-talkie.
- Air transfer: a Mi-8 helicopter (8 hours of flying time: 3-4 days of heli-skiing).
- Transport: from and to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport.
- Snowmobile trips in poor weather conditions.
- Professional cameraman (photo and video) — each participant will get high-quality photos and a video of the trip.
- Assistance during the flights — a qualified avalanche instructor.
- Support of an English-speaking guide-interpreter. Upon request we can arrange a guide with other language skills.
- A tourist invitation for a tourist visa for Russia. Article: «How to get a visa for Russia».
- Russian tourist visa. Article: «How to get a visa for Russia».
- Comprehensive travel insurance.
- Additional flying time with a per-minute charge basis.
- Surfing in the Pacific Ocean
- A Russian visa: a tourist invitation is provided by NFR Travel company. Article: «How to get a visa for Russia».
- Comprehensive travel insurance — for your safety and also required for the visa. We recommend including the following additional activities for this tour:
- extreme sports.
- All citizens of the Russian Federation need to obtain insurance covering extreme sports and activities.
It’s difficult to describe the sensation of absolute, boundless freedom of gliding down pristine snowy volcanic slopes! The photos of our trip are worth a thousand words and easily do it justice.